The most difficult thing about business expenses is actually staying on top of them. Often times those little scraps of paper that remind us of what was spent and where get lost before we even know it.
Xpenser is set to change all of this and key to its success is an arsenal of input mechanisms for submitting your expense notes. The simplest tool to use is email which requires just typing your expense note in the subject line and sending to Xpenser. From there Xpenser automatically formats your notes and applies logic by placing expense items for “Client XYZ” on the appropriate report or by doing the math calculation to determine how much reimbursement is due after driving 50.5 miles.
Beyond email, Xpenser offers several other input mechanisms such as SMS, instant messaging, Twitter, and even voicemail through third-party providers. Because Xpenser focuses completely on tracking expenses, you’ll find the site to be well-organized and easy-to-use. Submitted expenses can be edited, tagged, filed, and more – all through a single, web-based interface.
- If you’re self-employed, track your tax-deductible business mileage on your mobile phone using Xpenser’s SMS function
- Capture the expenses from that steak dinner with your clients as you walk to your car
- Track all travel expenses and let your assistant log into Xpenser to file the reimbursement claim
- Xpenser will automatically convert foreign currency if you reference the currency in the notes area (example: “10 EUR in London” will correctly convert 10 Euro’s into US dollars)
- The key to successful tracking of expenses is to capture them as they happen – utilize Xpenser’s SMS, instant messaging, email, or Twitter input mechanisms to input new notes on-the-go
- Be sure to visit the Keywords section to pre-define your mileage reimbursement or tax deduction rate
What we liked:
- Array of choices for inputting notes and expenses (SMS, Twitter, email, instant messaging, voice mail, etc.)
- Smart recognition and detection of notes (currency is converted automatically, mileage rates applied, etc.)
- Simple and straight-forward site design with a singular purpose of tracking expenses and nothing more
- The intro videos throughout the site were very helpful and informative
- RSS feeds of expenses are handy for personal assistants
What we didn’t like:
- We couldn’t find anything not to like
- Launched: October 2007
- Privately Held
- Headquarters: Rancho Penasquitos, CA
- Founded by: Parand Darugar
- Web site: http://xpenser.com